The streets of Olievenhoutbosch were abuzz with the movement of people queueing for food parcels, with many failing to adhere to social distancing regulations on Saturday.
Thousands of people queued outside Walter Sisulu Primary School anxiously waiting to receive food parcels which were donated by NGO Mahlasedi. Some had been waiting at the school since Friday afternoon.
The dissemination of false information has been blamed for the chaos that erupted in Olievenhoutbosch, Centurion.
Senior pastor at 3C church Bert Pretorius, whose church together with the Mahlasedi Foundation are distributing food parcels in Olievenhoutbosch, told TimesLIVE that someone spread false information that Saturday was the last day that food parcels would be distributed.
According to Pretorius, more than 20,000 people gathered at the school in Olievenhoutbosch where his church together with a foundation were distributing food parcels to the community.
He also said also contributing to the chaos on Saturday was the arrival of people from other communities outside Olievenhoutbosch, who were not eligible to receive the food parcels.
Pictures and videos have flooded social media showing the current situation: